Sunday, January 25, 2009

My First Reunion Dinner

Today is the eve of the Chinese New Year. Traditionally, every member of the family, near or far, get together to celebrate the start of the new year. The dinner usually includes many dishes and not eaten completely as the Chinese phrase nian nian you yu or every year there is fish/leftover means that there is profit every year or be blessed every year.

We started with reunion dinner at Ah Mah's house. Everyone was back home at the agreed timing of 5pm and we had many of Ah Mah's favourite dishes. Normally we do not eat at the same time as some might have to work late but for reunion dinners on the eve of Chinese New Year, everybody must be present before dinner can start.

Reunion dinners at Ah Mah's house is unfortunately very rushed as we have to attend the other reunion dinner with Nai Nai. Ah Mah is kind enough to take the earlier slot so that we can take our time with the second. Nai Nai has prepared steamboat which has been the practice for many years. We got home and continued with the second dinner. Unfortunately Steve Yi Sok is not able to come back this Chinese New Year as he is busy with many projects in Dubai and cannot take leave. Hope to see you soon Steve Yi Sok.

Today is also Gu Zhe Michelle's birthday so we celebrated with a cake from the Royal Cake shop. Apparently it is one of Daddy's favourite cake as their chocolate cake is very delicious. Unfortunately I still cannot eat any cakes so I will have to wait for another year.

I was officially introduced to the pacifier today. It was against Daddy and Mummy's initial intention to give me something that will only keep me quiet but does not tell them why I am crying, not that I am about to talk anytime soon. However, they finally relented because I was crying quite a bit and taking in too much air and as a result, the embarrassing flatulence problem I currently have.

No comments: