Monday, July 4, 2011

HFMD

I went to school today only to find out that it will be closed for the next 10 days because of 7 cases of Hand Foot Mouth Disease among my friends. Apparently HFMD usually affects infants and children and has been prevalent in most of the child care centres. It is moderately contagious and is spread through direct contact with the mucus, saliva, or feces of an infected person. I suppose one of my friends got it from somewhere else and passed it to the others.

Mummy and Daddy think I am ok and not infected although when they checked the inside of my mouth, they see some red dots but not blisters typical of HFMD. I also do not have high fever which is one of the symptoms of HFMD and finally, my appetite is as per normal so it is quite unlikely I have HFMD.

Apparently there is no specific treatment for HFMD so one just have to drink lots of water and get plenty of rest if infected.

We just got wind that my friend Asher is confirmed down with HFMD and has some pretty nasty blisters. I hope he gets well soon.

If all goes well, we will resume school on the 15th July. Meanwhile Nai Nai has to put up with me for the next 10 days.

No comments: